Saturday, June 18, 2011


So you know when the kids are playing and someone gets hurts and starts crying and comes in and says I think I broke my arm, or leg, or foot, or finger, and your first thought as a parent is...Yeah right, you will be fine, let me look at it and give it a kiss and everything will be better. Well, this wasn't one of those times.  Cal walked into the room, quite calmly I would say, crying, but not freaking out--and he said "I think I broke my arm." and I started to say "No you didn't you will be fine," and then I looked at it and I said,
 "Yep, it looks like your broke your arm."  

Of course it was a Sunday evening--Isn't that the only time something happens--so we loaded Cal into the car and took him to the ER, while Holly and Jared took the other kids home to bed.  Fun Stuff!!  He was such a good sport--never crying, really, until they had to take the x-rays and move his arm all around.  That HURT!  Then we went back to his room, got some drugs stuck in his butt, and waited for him to fall asleep so the Dr. could set the bone back in place.  That all went smoothly.  Then we just had to wait, and wait, and wait for him to wake up.  While we were waiting, our pediatrician arrived at the ER with his son.  That made me feel a little better knowing the Dr. gets to visit the ER occasionally too:)
SO.... about 2 hours later Cal starts to come out of his drug induced sleep--He didn't wake up very easily, since by this time it was 11:00 and he was ready to go to sleep for real.  
-He had the splint from the ER on for 2 weeks
-Then the awesome RED cast for 4 weeks
-Then the BLUE cast for 2 weeks

This was the only time that Cal seemed concerned that he had a broken arm, when they had to take the cast off. He had to call is friend Kyson, who had already experienced a broken arm, to ask him how they did it and if it hurt. 
 He would not take my word for it--He had to call a friend.


 Funny Feeling Floppy Arm

The entire first broken bone adventure started on April 3rd, 2011.  Eight weeks later he got his last cast off, and was free man.  Cal did not complain about his arm, or his cast, or being uncomfortable one time. 
  Seriously, he didn't.  He  was quite the trooper.
As  parents this is the first broken bone we have encountered.  We have had a couple sets of stitches, but this is the first break.  I was fine the entire night.  I am always calm and patient in situations like this. I am not bothered by the hospital, in fact I quite enjoy it.  I have always liked visiting the hospital.  I like the smell, the things to hear, and the people to watch. I am not bothered by  blood, shots, stitches, having them set Cal's arm, or whatever else might come along.  SO... I was feeling fine through the whole ordeal--
minus the thought of having to pay for it.
And then we got home, and I got into bed, and I started to BAWL my eyes out!! This was the first time in my life as a mom, that the realization hit me that I CAN NOT PROTECT MY KIDS 100% of the time.  And when they get older it will be even harder. So I lay there thinking, and crying, and needing my Mom, and  realizing that the FUN was just beginning.


  1. what a brave and cute boy! I love being a mom but it is scary to know we can't always protect them

  2. You made me start bawling reading the end of that. Sounds like he was so brave!

  3. I'm scared to death to think of what's to come in the future. If you're anything like me, pregnancy has a lot to do with my emotions. It can hit hard and fast! Glad he's doing well. Too bad we didn't get to visit last week. We should find a time to get together!